Is the cost of heating or cooling your home out of control? Homeowners in Georgia are paying more than ever for their energy. Lower your utility bill by taking advantage of these six energy-saving tips.
Lower Your Energy Bill With These Six Tips
- Use natural heating and cooling options to keep your home comfortable all year long. In the winter, open your curtains during the day to help warm your home and close them at night to help retain the heat. During the summer, draw your shades when the sun is out.
- Don’t pay to heat or cool the outside. Make sure you are not leaving any doors or windows open while running your system. Avoid using the exhaust fan in your bathroom or the hood of your stove for too long when your HVAC is running.
- Proper insulation saves you money. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, most homeowners are losing money by not insulating their homes properly. This is especially a problem for older homes. You can easily eliminate gaps around windows and doors yourself by using caulk or weather stripping. Consider updating all of your home’s insulation to save more on your heating and cooling costs.
- Don’t readjust your home’s temperature by a few degrees. Often changing your home’s thermostat throughout the day makes HVAC systems work extra hard and wastes energy. Instead of increasing the temperature in your home a few degrees, put on a sweater. A programmable thermostat is perfect for helping to keep your home at the ideal temperature when you are there but reduces your energy costs when you are away.
- Keep your HVAC system clean and serviced. A dirty HVAC system not only makes it less effective but can spread dust and allergens throughout your home. We recommend that you participate in a preventative maintenance agreement which typically covers a spring and winter maintenance on your home’s HVAC system.
- Replacing outdated HVAC systems is the best way to reduce your energy usage. Older, inefficient heating and cooling systems can cost you hundreds of dollars a year. When choosing a new system, make sure that you choose the most energy efficient system that your budget allows. You should use an energy calculator to determine how much money you can save by installing more efficient systems.
Are you considering updating your existing heating or cooling system to reduce your utility bill? R&D Mechanical Services, Inc. is a family-owned company dedicated to providing residents and businesses with the finest HVAC services. Call us at 770-917-1795 to learn how to schedule a preventative maintenance on your system!